just search me

Custom Search

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Journalist... Me?

I got to live one of my dreams of being a journalist a few years ago. I had the opportunity to work in an online news publication.

When I was in college--not too long ago--I wanted to pursue a career in journalism. All I had was my limited experience of holding the position of editor-in-chief of a departmental newsletter in my fourth year. But I felt that it was enough experience to apply for a news position.

Years later, after having graduated in law school and have just taken the Bar Examinations, I felt the need to work to pass the time of waiting for the results. That's when the job in Newslink came to me. They needed an editor, and with my limited journalistic experience, they hired me.

But it was not meant to be.

Early on, I already encountered problems in my work. Distance is my number one problem on my list. Then came the work output. Not to mention the insane hours. And then there's that constant nagging scary feeling of waiting for the bar results.

I resigned after only more than two months on the job.

The only thing good about this employment is that I got to bond with my co-employees, including my bosses. We even went out on my last day of work.

I just chatted with a former co-employee and reminisced our experience with the company. Like me, she had long gone to pursue greater opportunities. And she made it.

So anyway, even though I did not become a full-time journalist, at least I got to experience how it was working in news. And I'm so grateful.

No comments: