just search me

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Alma Mater

I am feeling positive again.

Which is good. Very good.

I went back to my two alma maters, UST (my law school) and Miriam College, just to see my profs and tell them the good news. Glad that most of them still remember me.

Talked with one of the law profs who asked about my insights about the Bar Exam in Remedial Law. Told him that except with the outrageous ones, much of the questions were covered in the lectures. Of course the degree of difficulty was expected, even those out of this world questions were expected. What was not expected was the "unusually strict" corrections and the eventual lowering of the passing rate in order to raise the passing percentage. In other words, I was just plain lucky.

My college profs wanted me to speak before a general assembly of IS students. I shared with them what happened to me ever since I graduated, including those years when my future seemed to be so uncertain. I can see that they were really proud that I finally made it. Anyway, I think what impressed them was that I was just an ordinary student who just persevered. Told my profs that I was not a speaker nor a debater, but I write, which became my tool when I eventually decided to take up law. Take note that the only school writing/editing experience that I have is the departmental publication, ISsues. Oh, I was text editor of the Chi-Rho Annual. Formal writing experience included news work three years ago, and my present job summarizing Supreme Court cases. Not bad, but not really that impressive either.

Anyway, the important thing is that I made it, and I was given that assurance by my profs.

Those trips really lifted up my spirits. I still have to take a further trip down memory lane... to Stella Maris, where I spent my formative years until high school. Maybe next week.

I can't wait to take that oath!!!

UPDATES:
1. I am now a licensed attorney.
2. I got invited to speak for the IS students.
3. I already went back to Stella Maris.
4. I am presently looking for a lawyer job.

No comments: