just search me

Custom Search

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh, Mamma!

The music of 70's group ABBA comes to life in Mamma Mia!, a film based on the hit musical.



From Wikipedia:
Mamma Mia! uses the music of ABBA to tell the story of Sophie Sheridan (Amanda Seyfried), a 20-year-old American girl who's ready to marry her fiancé Sky (Dominic Cooper), but wants to learn the identity of her father so he can give her away at the wedding. Reading her mother Donna's (Meryl Streep) diary, she brings three men, Sam Carmichael (Pierce Brosnan), an American architect; Harry Bright (Colin Firth), a British banker; and Bill Anderson (Stellan Skarsgård), a Swedish novelist, to the Greek island they visited over two decades ago.

Meryl Streep is a genius. I cannot believe that this fifty-something year old actor could sing and dance and is so good at it. Amanda Seyfried is also a revelation, graduating from her Plastics role in Mean Girls to become America's new sweetheart. I love her and I love her voice as well. Pierce Brosnan is okay as one of the dads but has NO chemistry with Meryl. And Colin Firth is so adorable although I did not really like how his character turned out in the film.

And oh, I love the Greek scenery the best.

UPDATE: I have gotten hold of the soundtrack. The layering of voices that made ABBA so famous does not quite work with the present cast, but there are still some interesting cuts. Here are some of my faves:
1. The Winner Takes It All (Meryl Streep) - Oh, the emotions running through this song! Truly a winner...
2. Mamma Mia (Meryl Streep) - Imagine all those stunts Meryl did...
3. Dancing Queen (Cast) - Still the Abba classic we knew and loved.
4. Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)(Cast) - Can't get this song out of my head...
5. Thank You For The Music (Amanda Seyfried)- I love Amanda's fresh and raw take on this song. The only song in the soundtrack with only the piano as accompaniment. And the one I love the best.

No comments: